Sunday, July 23, 2006

Her broken arm, my broken heart

As you may or may not know, my mom broke her arm last week. She was walking one morning and tripped on an uneven spot in the sidewalk while trying to get a better look at several cardinals that had decided to take up residence in a tree nearby. She fell on her elbow and broke it in two places.

All is well with her arm; the doctor says everything is in place and the splint she has will hold it and a cast is not even necessary. I, however, am highly distraught.

Let's first review the facts.

My mother: A housewife mainly, with a part-time job working with American greetings. Hobbies include crochet, needlepoint, antique shopping, sewing, and playing piano.

My sister: A music student with exercise induced asthma. Hobbies are very similar to my mom's: Playing piano, singing, cross-stitch, scrapbooking, and the like.

My brother: An eagle scout black belt. Hobbies include: running, shooting, canoing, karate, hiking, and rappelling. For his job he handles guns and fishhooks.

Me: A college student intent on going into the military. Hobbies include: Rappelling, rock climbing, shooting, trail running, mountain biking, whitewater rafting. I even went skydiving once. For my job, I swing either a bush axe or a machete, and walk around carrying what amounts to a small car battery.

Now that that is out of the way, which two of the above do you think have ever broken a bone? I'll give you a hint: Neither me or my brother.

Why is this? It hardly seems fair that my brother and I do everything possible, it would seem, to facilitate the possibilty of being put in a cast, or at least having some good scars. But no. My mom breaks her arm walking on a sidewalk, and my sister broke hers skating calmly at a skating rink.

Alas, I am thus in anguish and deep sorrow in my soul. I know that "life ain't fair" but, why do they get all the good injuries? To be fair, I must point out that I have broken two toes and a rib, but nobody ever notices those injuries. You don't even go to the doctor for it. Thus, no sympathy is had. But a full arm cast.....that's good. That's really good.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to take up knitting.

6 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

Your poor Mom!!

I think you should take up knitting and up your chances...or you could just be glad that you are THAT good. That you are able to engage in all of the abovementioned hobbies and come out with no broken bones. And hey, I bet your Mom's never impaled her foot with a nail before. Or done half of the bizzare and hardly mentionable things you have done to yourself, so you shouldn't worry!!

12:43 PM  
Blogger ThatOthersMayLive said...

and full arm casts are NOT cool....
~M

8:22 PM  
Blogger Josiah Lewis said...

Nathan, I'm impressed with your "creative writing" skills. If you stopped, and thought really hard, a book would come out of you.
And that's a complement.
As in, I think that would be your style of writing books, and I think it would work.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Thanks Joben.

Micah, full arm casts are good for sympathy. Tape around a toe in a shoe is not.

And you don't even wrap a broken rib. At least I didn't.....

9:01 PM  
Blogger Flower Child said...

Nathan....are you whining?!!!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Maybe....

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home